NBusiness v2.0 Released!

After working for over a year on this project I have finally achieved my original goals! It’s been a long and intense year of coding for me and I’ve loved every second of it. I still have some major features ahead of me and (no doubt) lots of debugging still but I have managed to produce something that I feel is pretty good quality and will be beneficial to everyone that uses it.

Download NBusiness v2.0 here.

Of course there are still some known issues to work out and plenty of room for improvement in the entity authoring experience, especially as it relates to intellisense in the C#/VB code beside. I’m not sure how to fix this though I have looked into it some already but I can say that it’s a top priority here.

When releasing this build I had to decide whether or not I should release an “imperfect” build or delay it longer but fix all of the issues I was seeing. If this was a commercial project I probably would have tried to work out more of the issues first but since it is (mostly) only me I felt it wasn’t worth delaying things much longer, since I can only do so much so fast. However, most of the known issues are annoyances and not critical show stoppers anyway. Despite these few remaining problems I’m very happy with this release and find myself wanting to use it with any new project. In fact it’s hard to imagine doing it any other way at this point!

Here is a screen shot of NBusiness integrated into Visual Studio (click to view fullsize):

I’m going to try to make some screen casts pretty soon too. I have never really done that before but I think a couple simple screen casts would be pretty helpful for people.

And please everyone, let’s make use of the forums and work items on codeplex!

Godaddy and HttpModule Problems

I just had an issue rolling out an HttpModule to my godaddy site (this site). I have a custom URL rewriter that I use to convert urls for blogs and topics by title into a common handler. For example the path:
 
Will actually just be routed to the URL:
 
It’s prettier that way and then I only need one page to serve up all of the blogs BUT I had some major problems rolling it out. I had no idea why though, it worked great on my test site but then I rolled it out to Godaddy and it just didn’t work. So I did what any other developer would do and I search Google high and low for about an hour. After a while I finally found a tidbit related to the default file for a given site and how if it was, say, index.html than if you had url’s that didn’t specifically have an .aspx on the end then IIS wouldn’t even try to use ASP.NET but would instead just try to serve up the raw pages! This is what I was doing and once I added the .aspx to the above URL’s and my rewriter then suddenly it worked, the server would hook into my custom URL rewriting HttpModule and everything was dandy!